Discover the fountain of 5 Moons – Fiumicino

By December 2017 we can admire the fountain delle cinque lune returned to its original beauty, thanks to the excellent work of restoration carried out by Pro Loco di Fiumicino.

But you know its history?
The fountain was designed by Professor Salvatore Amato who drew inspiration from the Palace where they had to be attached to the fountain, and the coat of arms of the Piccolomini family owned this House appear a cross surmounted by five crescents.

An old photo of the fountain of 5 Moons in Fiumicino (source: RomaSparita)

Placed in the path of the tank of the Acea, originally the fountain was in Rome, in piazza Madama, angolo via delle Cinque Lune.
Its realization has its origins from the contest that the then "Governorship of Rome" banned in 1928 with the aim of achieving 10 new artistic fountains, to be placed in replacement of traditional cast iron columns, in the different districts of the city.
For the fountain in piazza Madama won the assignment professor Salvatore Amato. The inspiration for the design of the fountain was the coat of arms of Palazzo Piccolomini, on whose walls was leaning against. The artist, in fact, would pose a full moon surrounded by four other moons, 2 in the first phase and 2 in the final. A pan in pods and a storage tank completed everything, fence from 4 columns with iron bars. The full moon was throwing water Central with a pleasant effect.
In 1936, to make way for the construction of the present Corso Rinascimento, the building was demolished and the fountain was removed, disassembled and placed in warehouses.
After the war the Fontana delle Cinque Lune became part of the panorama of the nearby Fiumicino as neighborhood fountain.

220px-Don _ Gregorio, _ Monaco_degli_Umiliati _ (Camerlengo) _-_Tavoletta_di_Biccherna_del_1324.jpg (220 × 330)Curiosity: Have you wondered why there are those 5 crescents? What is their meaning?
Besides the fact that the coat of arms of the Piccolomini family there are 5 crescents there seems to be another explanation.

For Benedict Blasi "Five Moons", besides the presence of coat of arms of Piccolomini, would be marked by an Inn which depicted the Moon in its five stages, and then add that "in that Inn, the innkeeper Marco Smashes She cooked the tripe celebrated that much liked to Calamatta ", noted printmaker, who lived between 1801 and 1869. "In this alley – still the Blasi – there is a drinking fountain at 5 stages and an elegant allusive Renaissance house of bramantesque style. Even an old and historic friggitoria had the same name ".

In this the Blasi is linked entirely to Alessandro Rufini, who first wrote in 1847 that the naming of the road would be derived from the presence of an "ancient trattoria there mail, and dictates delle cinque lune, by the sign above post the entrance leading figure of this planet into five phases ".

Previously, the hostelry that opened at no. 10 of the street was known as Osteria port, for the two entrance doors, which suggested to the owner to call her by that name. Ranked # 14 was also the Caffé delle Cinque Lune, named after the homonymous nearby Osteria. (source:

Check out the restaurants around

No data